Ernst-Jan Louwers (1959) took the initiative in 2006 for establishing the niche firm Louwers IP|Technology Advocaten.
With over 30 years experience as a lawyer he oversees the playing field of the firm.
His strength lies in the establishment of and contractually facilitating collaboration and creatively solving problems and conflicts. His many years of experience in working with creative, very innovative and internationally operating companies is useful, including on the allocation of IP in groups of companies and intellectual asset management.
As a lawyer he aims at making it possible for clients to conduct their business successfully, operate strategically or implement a policy with calculated risks.
Ernst-Jan regularly acts as a trial attorney in court or in arbitration proceedings. Except in the function of attorney he also acts as arbitrator or (binding or nonbinding) advisor in IT, IP or technology disputes or regarding commercial contracts.
A selection from his specific areas of activity:
- designing, facilitating and safeguarding sustainable business or strategy
- strategic advice
- intellectual property
- intellectual asset management, also in intragroup relations (allocation of rights to the proper legal entity and intragroup relationships)
- exploitation, licences and collaboration/cooperation agreements
- (co-)creation and (open) innovation
- enforcement of intellectual property (infringement or defence against alleged infringement)
- commercial contracts
- IT and technology
- contracts and disputes in the area of IT and IT outsourcing
- avoidance and solution of technology disputes
- emerging technologies, such as IoT, 3D-printing/additive manufacturing and virtual and augmented reality
- (online) retail
- arrangement and policy for webshops
- online naming and shaming
- advertising and publishing
- comparitive and misleading adverting
- unlawful publication
- assessment of advertising
- publishing contracts
Attorney-at-law (“advocaat”) (partner)
Education & work experience
Ernst-Jan studied law at the Leyden University, was an apprentice in Frankfurt am Main and specialised and graduated in Intellectual Property law at Amsterdam University. Since 1986 he worked at AKD in Rotterdam and Eindhoven and the American firm Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton.
On 1 December 2006 he established the niche firm Louwers IP|Technology Advocaten together with Marianne Korpershoek.
Presentations & publications
Ernst-Jan has written many articles and other publications in the areas of intellectual property, innovation and IT/technology.
Among others, he is editor and co-author of the extensive loose-leaf treatise International Computer Law (Matthew Bender, New York) with subjects on issues like software protection, patents, databases, privacy and e-commerce.
Furthermore, he is a co-author of the monograph Overeenkomsten inzake informatietechnologie (SDU) and the chapter Handhaving van intellectuele eigendomsrechten in the monograph Intellectuele eigendom en ICT.
He also wrote a contribution in the book Private labels Uncovered and several columns and online blogs on advertising, trademark and copyright law (among others in marketing magazines like Marketing Tribune and Adformatie) and the future of intellectual property, 3D printing and additive manufacturing (among others in industry sector magazines like Made in Europe and the legal bulletin of ECTA).
As a guest teacher, guest speaker, moderator or in-house trainer Ernst-Jan acts as speaker at conferences, trainings and webinars on innovation, (enforcement and exploitation of) intellectual property, IT, technology, 3D printing/additive manufacturing and internet. Among many other occasions he presented at the alumni association of the Design Academy on protection of product design, the annual meeting of the Orde van Octrooigemachtigden (Dutch Association of Patent Agents) about arbitration, 3D Printing Conference, Bioprinting Conference, IDTechEx in Berlin, ITechLaw, the annual meeting of Marques in Vienna etc.
- Marques – international association for trademark owners (member of Cyberspace Team)
- CIOPORA – international association for plant breeders’ rights
- BMM – Benelux Association of Trademark and Design Law
- ECTA – European Community Trademark Association
- INTA – International Trademark Association
- Dutch Copyright Association
- VIEPA – Association Intellectual Property Litigation Lawyers
- Association for Advertising Law
- VIRA – Netherlands Association for Computer Lawyers
- NVvIR – Nederlandse Vereniging voor Informaticarecht
- Alumni Association LSV Minerva
- Cleary Alumni Association
- Member of the Supervisory Board of Dutch Goldsmiths’ Guild (www.meestergoudsmeden.nl)
- Member of the Complaints and Appeals Board for .nl domain names (C&AB)
- Arbitrator at World Intellectual Property Organisation (WIPO)
- Board Member of Brainport Centre for Technology & Law (www.brainporttechlaw.nl)
- Member of the Advisory Board of Stichting Unipartners Eindhoven
- Member of the Advisory Board of Centrum Permanente Educatie
- Protector and advisor to National Monument Kamp Vught
- Board Member of Stichting 3D Clearing House
- Member of the Advisory Board of Stichting Behoud Boeier
Intellectual property & innovation, Internet & e-commerce, IT & IT outsourcing and commercial agreements (such as licences, distribution and agency and cooperation/collaboration agreements)
Dutch, English, French and German